Saturday, February 27, 2010

Colaiacovo wants to remain a Blue

Defenseman has been subject of trade rumors,
can become unrestricted free agent

By LOUIE KORAC
HAZELWOOD, Mo. -- If Carlo Colaiacovo had his way, he'll be a St. Louis Blue for a while longer.

The Blues' defenseman, whose name has been the subject of trade rumors leading into the March 3 trade deadline along with a few of his teammates, can become an unrestricted free agent on July 1.

Colaiacovo's $1.4 million salary makes him an obvious and inexpensive target for teams to inquire about. Plus, he's become a steady defenseman since the Blues acquired him a season ago from Toronto.

But Colaiacovo, 27, likes what he sees with his current teammates and wants to make it a repeat performance of a season ago as the Blues charged into the postseason.

He feels like history can duplicate itself.

"I'm really happy where I am. I really enjoy playing here," Colaiacovo said. "I'm happy playing for this organization. This organization's done a lot for me. It's really put a smile on my face to be here. ... That's all I focus on. I focus on coming to the rink every day, putting a smile on my face, enjoy my surroundings and playing in front of a great fan base and friends and playing on a great team. Other than that, I don't worry about it. Let's just hope nothing happens and we do something that makes our team better. And sometimes making your team better is doing nothing at all."

Colaiacovo has a teammate that would like not only he to stay but everyone.

"I'd definitely rather keep this group in tact," forward T.J. Oshie said. "We're close, a lot of guys in this locker room know what it takes to fight back. The chemistry between teammates is overlooked sometimes, but you fight a lot more if the guy next to you is one of your good buddies."

Colaiacovo, who has four goals and 14 assists in 48 games this season, is immune to the talk but says it's something every athlete deals with.

"It's the business of the game," he said. "You're a player on the team, not the GM so you don't make those decisions.

"When you're around this game for this long, you realize that a lot of people talk. Nothing happens until basically the final decision's made."

Colaiacovo certainly hopes to be with the Blues when they play in Dallas Thursday. That means the trade deadline has come and gone and then he can focus on two things. 1) helping the Blues make it to the postseason, and 2) entertain the idea of contract talks beyond this season.

"I don't want to look past anywhere but being here," Colaiacovo said. "I don't make those decisions. I just got to worry about my play on the ice and just be a professional when I'm here and let those decisions take care of themselves."

No comments:

Post a Comment