Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Blues bring in defenseman White

Veteran blueliner brought in on a pro tryout basis to compete for slot on team

By LOUIE KORAC
ST. LOUIS -- Colin White understands the end of the line is near.

That's why the 35-year-old wants to give the NHL one more shot.

White, who played for San Jose last season, was brought in by the Blues Tuesday on a pro tryout basis.

The 49th pick in the 1996 NHL Draft, appeared in 54 games for the Sharks last season and recorded one goal and four points. He will compete with Jeff Woywitka for a potential seventh slot on defense after it was thought that Woywitka had the position locked up.

(St. Louis Blues/Mark Buckner)
Colin White (left) was part of Tuesday night's scrimmage.
"I get another chance here," White said after playing in Tuesday night's 4-4 scrimmage between the Blue team and White team. "I'll come in, have some fun and work hard. A great group of guys here playing against them last year. Very hard to play against. I was surprised, but I'm very excited too."

A left-handed defenseman, White is 6-foot-4 and 215 pounds and provides the Blues with another look on the backend as they attempt to fortify the left side.

"He's a big body," Blues coach Ken Hitchcock said of White. "He's another piece of the puzzle ... he certainly didn't hurt himself today."

White is a 12-year veteran of the NHL and won a pair Stanley Cup titles with New Jersey in 2000 and 2003. I
n 797 career games, White has 129 points (21 goals, 108 assists) and 17 points (three goals, 14 assists) in 114 career playoff games.
With no guarantee of a contract, White's agent Ben Hankinson got a call from the Blues seeking interest. He'll stay with Jamie Langenbrunner, a teammate with the Devils for eight seasons, while in St. Louis.

"I've been around a long time," White said. "I'm enjoying this right now. I'm going to work hard. That's been my game for the last 13-14 years. That's what I'm going to do. I'm going to try and help out and be a good teammate.

"It is what it is, and I'm going to enjoy it. I'm going to work hard and let the outcome take care of itself."

White played in Games 3, 4 and 5 for the Sharks against the Blues in the Western Conference quarterfinals last season. He scored a goal in Game 3, a game the Blues won 4-3.

"I wasn't going anywhere at the time," White said. "It was surprising (to get the call from the Blues), but I was happy to get that opportunity again. I want to come in and enjoy it.

"This was a big team last year ... played them in the first round and I always liked their style of play. Physical ... lot of big bodies in this room. It's a short season ... big bodies pay off."

No comments:

Post a Comment