Thursday, July 9, 2015

Jeremy Brodeur looking to carve own niche

Son of future Hall of Famer Martin Brodeur on hand for 
Blues Prospect Camp performing under dad's watchful eye

By LOU KORAC
HAZELWOOD, Mo. -- Martin Brodeur has been sitting in the stands, taking in his first Blues Prospect Camp and getting a look at perhaps some of the future that the franchise has to offer.

But this wasn't just any prospects camp, which began Monday and runs through Thursday. This one includes his son Jeremy, who was invited to attend to get a taste of what NHL life is all about.

"It's always nice to have my dad (here)," Jeremy said. "He's always busy and doesn't get a chance to watch me much, so it's pretty nice to have him here. I like it a lot."
(St. Louis Blues photo)
Jeremy Brodeur (pictured) tends to the net during Blues prospect camp this
week. Brodeur is the son of Blues' assistant GM Martin Brodeur.

As the Blues' assistant general manager, was Marty perhaps critiquing his son's game?

"I've seen enough of him," Marty said laughing. "It's fun for him; it's a good experience. He did New Jersey (Devils) camp last year. He comes here this year, just give him some ice time. 

"I think the guys here, (director of player development) Tim Taylor, are doing a great job teaching these kids what it takes to become professional hockey players. They're 18 years old, they're still young, but it's never too early to learn some of the things and (strength and conditioning coach) Nelson (Ayotte) is doing a lot of things. I know for my son, he needs to learn how to work out and get some weight in a little bit. He's a buck sixty-five and he's 6-1. He needs to beef up a little bit."

Jeremy Brodeur, 18, spent last season with the Oshawa Generals with Ken Appleby, also invited to attend prospect camp this week, and the two helped the Generals win the Memorial Cup this past season and the Robinson Cup, which goes to the Ontario Hockey League champions. The Generals defeated Connor McDavid and the Erie Otters for the OHL title after beating the Kelowna Rockets for the Memorial Cup.

Brodeur was 13-4-2 in the regular season with a 2.47 goals-against average and .900 save percentage with the Generals in his first junior season. Taking that next step is the progression Brodeur is looking for at this stage of his career. He's not looking to cash in with an NHL team just yet -- albeit of one wants to offer a contract, it would be hard to pass on. 

Brodeur will return to the Generals for the upcoming season but will gain an immeasurable amount of experience here in St. Louis.

"It's really good for me to just be with pro-oriented guys like this," Brodeur said. "This whole year helped me a lot, my first year (in) junior. I'm learning a lot this week so far with the goalie coaches, it's been a good week so far.

"... Just show them that I'm capable of stopping the puck and doing what anyone else can do. I just want to set my foot down, I guess .... hope it leads to something. I just want play my best here and showcase what I can do. ... "It's pretty cool watching, seeing how people treat themselves, how they act around the room and on the ice as well. It's good. It's a pretty good experience."

Brodeur's older brother Anthony, a draft pick by the Devils where Marty spent the majority of his illustrious career before finishing with the Blues last season, is manning the posts with the Gatineau Olympiques and Drummondville Voltigeurs of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League. Jeremy's twin brother William is playing for Shattuck-St. Mary's midget-AAA team in Minnesota. He's a forward. But as Marty's sons, they get asked the questions all the time about dad.

It can bring an inordinate amount of pressure. But Jeremy said that's not the case, at least with him.

"Yeah, I try not to think about it, but I think people have an expectation of me because of my dad," Jeremy said. "But I try not to let that bother me. I just try to play as best as I can and show what I can do."

Jeremy Brodeur said he talks to Anthony on a daily basis and the two talk hockey and check in on how things are progressing with each other.

With Marty's job in St. Louis and his boys playing in different parts of the country, it's tough for dad to see all of them play. But with Jeremy in town and having this opportunity, Marty is cherishing each moment.
(Oshawa Generals photo)
Jeremy Brodeur helped the Oshawa Generals win the Memorial Cup and
Robinson Cup as OHL champions his first season with the junior club.

"It's fun to watch. They've all grown up, they're all driving, they all all have their own lives, they're all over the place," Marty Brodeur said. "Anthony was in the Quebec League, Jeremy in the Ontario League and my other son is playing high school in Minnesota. It's fun to see them grow on their own."

Knowing his dad would be watching, was there any advice the future Hall of Famer gave to Jeremy?

"It might sound silly, but he just said, 'Stop the puck,'" Jeremy said with a wide grin. "... I'll see him when he walks in, when he walks out. We'll talk about how the day was and everything. It's been a lot of fun here, so far."

No comments:

Post a Comment