Tuesday, February 8, 2022

"Looking back, it was one of the best things that happened in my career"

Bortuzzo never imagined being in St. Louis this long, defenseman will stick 
around a while longer after signing two-year extension; Brown also inks contract

By LOU KORAC
MARYLAND HEIGHTS, Mo. -- Remember when the Blues acquired Robert Bortuzzo from the Pittsburgh Penguins nearly seven years ago?

It was March 2, 2015 when the Blues started to reshape their defensive unit by sending fan favorite Ian Cole to the Penguins for Bortuzzo and a 2016 seventh-round pick.
(St. Louis Blues photo)
Blues defenseman Robert Bortuzzo (41) will remain in St. Louis for two
more years after signing a contract extension on Tuesday.

Who would have imagined that Bortuzzo's longevity would stay in tact while Cole is playing for his fourth team (Carolina) since leaving the Penguins after winning two Stanley Cups?

But alas, here we are, and the 32-year-old will stick around a bit longer after signing a two-year contract extension for $1.9 million ($950,000 average annual value).

Bortuzzo, who is in the final year of a three-year, $4.125 million contract he signed in 2018, never imagined he'd still be here, but is grateful he is.

"Not at all," Bortuzzo said. "It's a weird feeling getting traded. A lot of weird emotions, but looking back, it was one of the best things that happened in my career, ended up a spot where a team wanted me. The biggest thing through this almost 10 years is the people. It's just been good.

"It feels good. I'm excited, I'm glad they're putting a little more faith in me. It's no secret I love being here, I love being around this team and this organization. I'm excited it all came together pretty quick. It seemed like both sides wanted to get it done. The city's been amazing to me over the years. We've got a good squad here and it's just exciting to be a part of."

The Blues also announced the signing of St. Louisan Logan Brown to a one-year, one-way contract that will pay the 11th pick in the 2016 NHL Draft $750,000.

Brown, 23, was acquired in a trade prior to the season from the Ottawa Senators for forward Zach Sanford and has three goals and three assists in 17 games since being recalled from Springfield of the American Hockey League. He is the son of former Blues defenseman Jeff Brown (1989-1994).

"It's definitely pretty cool and now it's just being able to play and knowing I'm going to be here for another year," Logan Brown said. "It's pretty cool and some weight off my shoulders, I guess.

"It came together pretty quickly honestly. As soon as my agent called me and told me it was on the table. We kind of jumped on it. It's cool playing at home. When I knew I had that opportunity, I didn't have to think about it much."

The signings enabled the Blues to lock up a pair of complementary pieces moving forward.

"Keeping a guy like 'Borts' is important," Blues coach Craig Berube said. "I think he's a great team guy. He provides an element that not a lot of people provide. He's a great, smart player. He does a lot of good things for us out there, great locker room guy. It's great to have him around, very happy for him, 'Brownie' too. 'Brownie' came in here, went to the minors and put the work in, came up here and gave us some good games. I know he's in and out of the lineup now, but there's a lot of upside to him. I think it was a great signing.

"(Bortuzzo) plays hard. He makes it difficult on the other team. We all know that. He's got a very good mind for the game, very intelligent player. He does a great job of penalty killing for us. He just sacrifices his body for the team. We know we're going to get that from him night in, night out."

With Bortuzzo, who has 66 points (18 goals, 48 assists) in 454 NHL games with the Blues (341 games) and Penguins (113 games), playing and growing with a core group of players factored in and made the decision pretty easy to re-up with the Blues. He's been in the system with the likes of Vladimir Tarasenko, David Perron, Ryan O'Reilly, Brayden Schenn, Tyler Bozak, Colton Parayko and Ivan Barbashev to go with the additions of veterans like Justin Faulk, Torey Krug, Marco Scandella, Brandon Saad, Pavel Buchnevich and growing with youngsters like Robert Thomas and Jordan Kyrou.

"It's a huge factor," Bortuzzo said. "They've built something here in St. Louis and probably started before I got here with guys like 'Steener' and 'JayBo'. They've kind of just built a culture here that as guys have come in and out, they've kind of carried that on. You've got a special crew here, a core and guys getting added into that core. It was definitely a big factor in my decision. It made it a lot easier. It's a locker room that you get excited to come to come to the rink every day. Any time you get a chance to do that in your career, it's something you want to take advantage of. It was definitely a big part of my decision and it's a fun locker room to be in, always competitive. Just exciting that you have a chance at doing something special year in and year put has been a very enjoyable part of being here."

Bortuzzo has brought an element of tenacity and grit to the blue line, something the current Blues lean on him for and something he grew into playing with throughout his 11-year career. 

It's made for a good fit with the Blues.

"We try and take a workmanlike approach ever since I've gotten here," Bortuzzo said. "It's a competitive culture, it's something I've always grown up with and father kind of instilled in me. It's just a group that carries a competitive fire. I just truly enjoy that. Organizationally, I think that seems to be their ammo too. I kind of knew that before I got here, but over the years, it's easy to tell that this organization and team has always taken the approach of winning and being successful. That's fun to be part of. The competitiveness of the team and organization kind of complements who I am I guess."

The contract is the seventh Bortuzzo has signed in his career, and amazingly enough, none have been for more than three years. He's never reached the unrestricted free agency stage of his career, although he was a restricted free agent for three of those contracts. It's something that has intrigue but also is a risk, and one obviously the Thunder Bay, Ontario native wasn't willing to go through.
(St. Louis Blues photo)
Blues forward Logan Brown (right) looks to get a shot off against the
Montreal Canadiens in a game on Dec. 11, 2021.

"Of course, of course. You don't know out there who likes you," Bortuzzo said. "You'll probably never know. You might get to free agency and no one comes calling. It's something I definitely thought about. It would be cool to know, but frankly, it's not the biggest deal to me.

"The thing came together pretty quickly. Almost all my deals here have. It's just that feeling of being a part of something. That's what it's like when you come here to St. Louis, guys come in and out. It's just a group working towards something together is a fun feeling. That's definitely something weighing into the decision. I've never made it to free agency. You hear good things and you hear bad things. I'm totally comfortable with not making it there in my career should that happen. These decisions haven't been overly complicated. That goes in part the team and organization here factoring in.

"I think it just shows some faith from 'Army' and the organization. I think they know what they're going to get from me. Try and be the least of their worries. Just be business-like in my approach coming to the rink every day and make things easy on them and they rewarded me with the two years."

No comments:

Post a Comment