Wednesday, April 13, 2011

A chat with David Perron

By LOUIE KORAC
ST. LOUIS -- Nobody imagined when he took that vicious hit from Joe Thornton in early November that David Perron would see his last ice time, suffering a concussion. In an ongoing struggle to get his health back to form, Perron remains positive about one day getting back on the ice -- with his goal being the start of the 2011-12 season. Hear his thoughts on his recovery, his present state of mind and how he continues to battle through what's been a frustrating injury:

What are your immediate plans now that the season is over?
When I feel good enough, I'll come back down here (to St. Louis). I'm leaving Thursday to go home (to his hometown of Sherbrooke, Quebec). When I feel good enough, I'll do the protocol to get back.

How have you managed during this time of trying to get yourself back with your teammates? How frustrating has this process been?
You just stay positive and keep looking forward to the day it's going to be good enough. It's been better. I keep saying that, but it's just myself staying positive.

How are you feeling these days?
I feel pretty good during the day. It's sometimes at night, stuff happens. I'll get there one day.

Is there anything you can do as far as training is concerned?
It's something between me, our training staff and our doctors. I want to keep it that way for now.

Are you upset or angry that this happened and it's taken this long to recover?
You play hockey and you know stuff like that can happen sometimes. It did, and it's a process I wasn't familiar with. I think in minor hockey, I only missed one game my entire life before that because of injuries.

How frustrating was it to watch helplessly when you could have been on the ice contributing?
You want to be there to try and help, but it is what it is.

Are you still searching for ways that can help speed up the recovery process?
There's not much I didn't try to do to get better and we're still looking obviously to find if there's stuff out there that can help or not. It's frustrating when you watch the games and we don't play as well as we know we can, and you want to be out there and maybe create a spark and help the team. But there's also times when we play really well and it's fun to watch.

Do you feel you will you be ready to play hockey in September?
I swear, I don't care if I'm still not feeling better in September, I'll still say the same: When I was younger, I had my back against the wall to make it to the NHL and I found a way. So I know I'll find a way, and I don't care what way it is ... I'll take it.

No comments:

Post a Comment