Wednesday, April 13, 2011

A chat with Patrik Berglund

By LOUIE KORAC
ST. LOUIS -- Patrik Berglund took a different approach to last summer with his training regimen. He just finished what he called "a sophomore slump" and wanted to be more dedicated, more serious about his training. It paid off with career numbers in goals (22), assists (30) and points (52). See what his thoughts are moving forward:

How would you characterize your season?
It's been a really fun year for me. I think I took a big step. I know I had a good year my rookie year and (had) a sophomore slump last year, but this year, it was more play, more maturity, bigger, stronger, trying to play and show everyone that I'm here to stay. I want to be a part of this team for a long time. Obviously I want to work to become a leader on this team in the future. I think I'm on the right track. I'm going to go home, I'm going to take it easy, I'm going to reload my batteries and come back even stronger.

How close is this to being a really good team?
I think we're really close. It's a young, talented team. We need everybody to go in the right direction together. I really think we can make good things happen here.

Did doing what you did last summer help in your progression and will you be doing it again?
It's completely up to you what you want to do. I wanted to take a big step. I wanted to move forward ... and I did. I can look back and (realize) it was a good thing for me to stick around to work on stuff that I wouldn't do at home. I'm not going to stop. I'm going to keep going. I'm happy with the way I performed. I just want to keep moving (forward). I'm excited about the summer.
It's pretty much going to be the same. I'm going to be in Sweden more, to play in the World Championships. It's a little different, but it will for sure be kind of the same. I'm going to try and work out the same and do a lot of what I did last summer for sure.

Can you be a better player than this year?
I'm happy with what I did, but you've got to move on and get better. I want to keep moving forward. I don't want to stop there. That's what I'm going to try to do. I'm going to be serious, I'm going to take it day by day and work hard.

You're a RFA this summer. How quickly would you like to get a contract done?
Obviously pretty quick, but it will all be good. I'm not in a hurry. It will be fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment